Monday, July 6

Mussels in Local Rivers Video


Now that I'm working with the Partnership for the Delaware Estuary,
I've been getting up close and personal with freshwater mussels in our local waterways.

In the first video on our Facebook Page I'm walking around in the background looking for mussels in the Brandywine River and finding lots of live ones.  These are not the edible kind that come from the ocean, but they are cool little mollusks that are living creatures in our natural areas.

The second video I shot while searching for mussles in the tributaries of the Schuylkill near Reading and Kutztown in PA and they are a rarer species.  The mussel in the video was full of personality and as I was carrying him along, he was spitting and making noises and had his foot out on my palm.  We collect a few to photograph and then put them back where we find them, usually in sandy creek beds with some refuge from flash floods and heavy sediment.

Who knew freshwater mussels are all around us and such cool creatures!  

No comments: